The annual Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), ready to take place May 10-15, 2015, in San Jose, CA, brings together all aspects of laser technology and offers content on breakthrough research and applied innovations. In addition, close to 250 companies will showcase their latest products and demonstrate cutting-edge innovations during the show's exhibition set to run May 12-14.
Related: CLEO/Laser Focus World 2015 Innovation Awards
Plenary keynotes and special symposia
Sharing their insights on microscopy and trends in optics, six Nobel Prize winners and two laser luminaries will deliver CLEO:2015's plenary keynotes:
Monday, May 11:
- Tony Heinz of Columbia University: Electrons in Atomically Thin Two-Dimensional Crystals
- Stefan W. Hell of the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry and 2014 Nobel Prize Winner: Nanoscopy with Focused Light
- W. E. Moerner of Stanford University and 2014 Nobel Prize Winner: Light Paves the Way to Single-Molecule Detection and Photocontrol, Foundations of Super-Resolution Microscopy
- Eric Betzig of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) and 2014 Nobel Prize Winner: Imaging life at High Spatiotemporal Resolution
Tuesday, May 12:
- Steven Chu of Stanford University and 1997 Nobel Prize Winner: Microscopy 2.0
- Hiroshi Amano of Nagoya University and 2014 Nobel Prize Winner: Current and Future of Solid State Lighting
Wednesday, May 13:
- Shuji Nakamuraof the University of California Santa Barbara and 2014 Nobel Prize Winner: Energy savings by LED Lighting
- Miles Padgett of the University of Glasgow: Light's Twist
This year's special symposia, to be held May 11-15, represent such topics as optical microscopy for brain imaging, 3D printing, and single-photon nonlinear optics. A post-deadline paper session on May 14th will give attendees the opportunity to learn about new and significant research in rapidly advancing areas.
Related: The trillion-frame-per-second camera; attend the CLEO presentation
In addition to the aforementioned ~250 exhibitors, CLEO:Expo will offer show floor programming that focuses on the latest trends in the photonics marketplace and provides a forum to discuss new products and emerging technologies and markets. Programming includes the CLEO: Market Focus sessions, which will feature a survey of market trends and market sector outlook; CLEO: Future Professionals, an undergraduate program that will celebrate the International Year of Light; the CLEO:Expo Tech Playground, which will have hands-on demonstrations from select exhibitors; and much more. For a full list of events happening at the CLEO:Expo, please visit www.cleoconference.org/home/exhibit-displays-and-activities.
Shifting back to the exhibitor offerings, the following list represents our coverage of some of the companies whose products will be available for demonstration:
- Cybel to showcase thulium-doped fiber amplifiers at CLEO:2015
- Edmund Optics to show variable beam expanders at CLEO:2015
- EOT to showcase optical isolators for 1.0 μm lasers at CLEO:2015
- Inrad Optics to demonstrate stilbene scintillator at CLEO:2015
- Ocean Optics to display spectral sensor at CLEO:2015
- Oxide Corporation to showcase ferroelectric QPM device at CLEO:2015
- Photodigm to display pulsed 1064 nm laser module at CLEO:2015
- Photonics Industries to showcase 100 mJ green YLF laser at CLEO:2015
- RPMC Lasers to show laser for gas sensing at CLEO:2015
- Spectra-Physics to display ultrafast lasers at CLEO:2015
For more information on CLEO:2015, including the full schedule of events, please visit www.cleoconference.org.