The Plastic Optical Fiber Trade Organization (POFTO) is organizing a POF Symposium during OFC 2014 (9-13 March 2014; Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA) that will cover recent developments in POF technology, light sources, applications, technical standards, industry progress, and new markets.
Speakers from around the world will review opportunities for POF in areas such as Gigabit POF, high-temperature POF, aerospace and automobile applications, new GI-POF fabrication techniques, POF sources, IPTV, consumer devices, and POF sensors, among others.
The program will take place in Moscone Center's Expo Theater II--South, Exhibit Hall A on Thursday, 13 March from 13:00 - 16:00. It will include the following presentations:
1. Products and Technologies for Commercial Deployment of Gigabit POF Networks
Presenter: Whitney R. White, cofounder and CEO of Chromis Fiberoptics (Warren, NJ)
2. Visible Range LEDs for Up to 5.5 Gbit/s Short Reach Data Transmission Over SI-POF
Presenter: Juri Vinogradov, POFAC (Nürnberg, Germany)
3. Understanding Coupling Losses of Step-Index Polymer Optical Fibers for Power Budget Calculation
Presenter: Stefan Werzinger, POFAC (Nürnberg, Germany)
4. Continuous Melt-spinning Fabrication Method for Graded-Index Polymer Fibers
Presenter: Markus Beckers, RWTH Aachen, ITA (Aachen, Germany)
5. Copolymers as Starting Materials for High Temperature POF
Presenter: Daniel Zaremba, Technische Universität Braunschweig (Braunschweig, Germany)
6. Theoretical and Experimental Characterization of Active POFs
Presenter: Jon Arrue, University of the Basque Country, Spain
7. High Bitrate Transmission over SI-POF
Presenter: Marco Dietrich, ELCON Systemtechnik GmbH (Hartmannsdorf, Germany)
POFTO also has a POF Technology and Applications Pavilion on the show floor (booth 3679) where POFTO member companies demonstrate their products and technologies during the show. Attendees can bring their problems and receive design advice on POF solutions from industry experts.