Silicon Border science park completes phase one of "green" construction

April 3, 2009
April 3, 2009--Silicon Border, a science and technology park located in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico catering to the specialized needs of solar-cell and semiconductor technology industries, has completed the infrastructure necessary to support phase one of its manufacturing development targeted for green technology companies. Phase one is more than 500 acres of developed land, and is ready for its current and future tenants to begin construction of their manufacturing facilities.

April 3, 2009--Silicon Border, a science and technology park located in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico catering to the specialized needs of solar-cell and semiconductor technology industries (see Silicon Border seeks Asian cost structure), has completed the infrastructure necessary to support phase one of its manufacturing development targeted for green technology companies. Phase one is more than 500 acres of developed land, and is ready for its current and future tenants to begin construction of their manufacturing facilities.

The infrastructure build-out, financed by ING Clarion, consists of potable water plant and distribution, fiber optic telephone and data cable, power substations, and waste treatment facilities. Silicon Border not only provides manufacturing space to companies creating "green" products, but does so in an environmentally conscious manner.

The water treatment plant has been designed to recycle up to 90% of the water used within the park. The other 10% will be dedicated to irrigation and other uses within the park. This water treatment plant is considered state-of-the-art and will meet or exceed the exacting standards for water demanded by high technology manufacturing. In addition to a world-class water treatment facility that recycles virtually all the water within the Park, Silicon Border is the first Science Park in the world to exclusively use LED lighting for 100% of its roadways and parking lots. Silicon Border conforms to the strict LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building Rating System criteria.

Silicon Border partnered with Grupo Maiz (www.maiz.com) in November 2007, who was chosen as the preferred contractor to design and manage the physical attributes of the science park. The park's total investment for the complete build-out will exceed $150 million.

Construction of the infrastructure to support phase two will provide guaranteed and redundant sources of power and water for all park tenants in order to maximize the probability of uninterrupted, continued operations needed to support today's high technology manufacturing environment. This phase of the build-out, which will be an additional 900 acres, is projected to be completed in 2011.

Guided by semiconductor industry veterans, Silicon Border is a cost-effective, manufacturing alternative in North America for the world's most advanced technologies, such as semiconductor, solar cell, telecommunications and flat-panel display manufacturers. It provides 10,000 acres of land for business space, and is supported by a world-class, industrial infrastructure and a significant Planned Urban Development Community. The Science Park is in close proximity to three major area universities, and will be home to the Baja California State University campus of engineering.

For more information, go to www.siliconborder.com.

For more first-hand and originally reported business news in the optoelectronics and photonics industry, please subscribe to Optoelectronics Report at www.optoelectronicsreport.com, the twice-monthly eNewsletter from the editors at Laser Focus World and BioOptics World that covers both national and international business news and market trends and tracks technology advances to interpret their business implications.

--Posted by Gail Overton, [email protected]; www.laserfocusworld.com.

Sponsored Recommendations

Next generation tunable infrared lasers

Nov. 28, 2023
Discussion of more powerful and stable quantum cascade tunable infrared lasers, applications, and test results.

What AI demands mean for data centers

Nov. 28, 2023
The 2023 Photonics-Enabled Cloud Computing Summit assembled by Optica took an aggressive approach to calling out the limitations of today’s current technologies.

SLP feature for lighting control available on cameras offering

Nov. 28, 2023
A proprietary structured light projector (SLP) feature is now available on the company’s camera series, including the ace 2, boost R, ace U, and ace L.

Chroma Customer Spotlight - Dr. David Warshaw, About his Lab

Nov. 27, 2023
David Warshaw, Professor and Chair of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics at the University of Vermont (UVM), walks us through his lab. Learn about his lab’s work with the protein...

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Laser Focus World, create an account today!