Novanta acquires remaining equity in Laser Quantum

Oct. 12, 2018
Laser Quantum supplies solid-state CW lasers, femtosecond lasers, and optical light engines for OEMs and medical markets.

Photonics, vision, and precision motion company Novanta (Bedford, MA; Nasdaq: NOVT) acquired the remaining approximately 24% of the outstanding shares of Laser Quantum (Manchester, England) for an aggregate consideration of $45.7 million in cash and restricted stock. Laser Quantum supplies solid-state continuous-wave (CW) lasers, femtosecond lasers, and optical light engines for OEMs and the medical market.

Since increasing Novanta's equity stake in Laser Quantum to 76% in January 2017, Laser Quantum has been consolidated in Novanta's consolidated financial statements. The acquisition of the remaining 24% minority interests will be accounted for as a transaction among shareholders. Accordingly, this transaction is not expected to give rise to gain or loss in the consolidated statement of operations.

The total purchase price was financed with cash on hand and borrowings under the Company's amended and restated credit facility, and the issuance of $15.0 million in restricted stock. The restricted stock will become fully vested upon achievement of certain milestones included in the restricted stock agreement. Restricted stock not otherwise vested as of December 31, 2025 will be subject to forfeiture. The transaction is expected to be accretive to Novanta's non-GAAP earnings per share.

"Novanta and Laser Quantum share a common emphasis on providing mission critical technologies to OEMs with medical and life science applications," said Lawrie Gloster, managing director of Laser Quantum. "We are excited to be with Novanta and are looking forward to continuing our work together. Joining Novanta in 2017 accelerated our business growth and expanded our ability to serve customers. The completion of this final step in the transaction deepens these collaborations and enables us to further strengthen our business."

SOURCE: Novanta;

About the Author

Gail Overton | Senior Editor (2004-2020)

Gail has more than 30 years of engineering, marketing, product management, and editorial experience in the photonics and optical communications industry. Before joining the staff at Laser Focus World in 2004, she held many product management and product marketing roles in the fiber-optics industry, most notably at Hughes (El Segundo, CA), GTE Labs (Waltham, MA), Corning (Corning, NY), Photon Kinetics (Beaverton, OR), and Newport Corporation (Irvine, CA). During her marketing career, Gail published articles in WDM Solutions and Sensors magazine and traveled internationally to conduct product and sales training. Gail received her BS degree in physics, with an emphasis in optics, from San Diego State University in San Diego, CA in May 1986.

Sponsored Recommendations

Request a free Micro 3D Printed sample part

April 11, 2024
The best way to understand the part quality we can achieve is by seeing it first-hand. Request a free 3D printed high-precision sample part.

How to Tune Servo Systems: The Basics

April 10, 2024
Learn how to tune a servo system using frequency-based tools to meet system specifications by watching our webinar!

Motion Scan and Data Collection Methods for Electro-Optic System Testing

April 10, 2024
Learn how different scanning patterns and approaches can be used in measuring an electro-optic sensor performance, by reading our whitepaper here!

How Precision Motion Systems are Shaping the Future of Semiconductor Manufacturing

March 28, 2024
This article highlights the pivotal role precision motion systems play in supporting the latest semiconductor manufacturing trends.

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Laser Focus World, create an account today!