Lumileds is officially an independent company

July 5, 2017
Remainder of funds were transferred from previous owner Royal Philips to a New York City investment firm.

Lumileds (San Jose, CA) announced that funds affiliated with investment firm Apollo Global Management (New York City, NY) and Royal Philips (Amsterdam, Netherlands) have been transferred to complete their previously disclosed transaction (see below), resulting in Lumileds operating as an independent company. Lumileds develops lighting LEDs for the automotive, mobile, Internet of Things (IoT), and illumination markets.

Lumileds began as part of Royal Philips; in 2014, Royal Philips split into two companies, one concentrating on LED lighting (Lumileds) and the other on health care and consumer lifestyle (Royal Philips). Lumileds was owned by Royal Philips.

As announced in December 2016, Apollo and Philips agreed to a transaction where Philips would sell 80.1% interest in Lumileds to funds managed by Apollo and retain the remaining 19.9% interest in the company.

Lumileds is one of the technology leaders in the lighting LED industry, producing white LEDs as well as a wide range of single-color LEDs in the visible and near-IR. The company has introduced, for example, LEDs with a projected lifetime of 114 years, as well as illumination LEDs with colors such as mint green.

For further information, see www.lumileds.com

Source: Lumileds

About the Author

John Wallace | Senior Technical Editor (1998-2022)

John Wallace was with Laser Focus World for nearly 25 years, retiring in late June 2022. He obtained a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and physics at Rutgers University and a master's in optical engineering at the University of Rochester. Before becoming an editor, John worked as an engineer at RCA, Exxon, Eastman Kodak, and GCA Corporation.

Sponsored Recommendations

Request a quote: Micro 3D Printed Part or microArch micro-precision 3D printers

April 11, 2024
See the results for yourself! We'll print a benchmark part so that you can assess our quality. Just send us your file and we'll get to work.

Request a free Micro 3D Printed sample part

April 11, 2024
The best way to understand the part quality we can achieve is by seeing it first-hand. Request a free 3D printed high-precision sample part.

How to Tune Servo Systems: The Basics

April 10, 2024
Learn how to tune a servo system using frequency-based tools to meet system specifications by watching our webinar!

Precision Motion Control for Sample Manipulation in Ultra-High Resolution Tomography

April 10, 2024
Learn the critical items that designers and engineers must consider when attempting to achieve reliable ultra-high resolution tomography results here!

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Laser Focus World, create an account today!