Batelco, (Bahrain Telecommunications Company) has awarded a contract to PurOptix to deliver a turnkey, Fiber-to-the-Home-and-Business (FTTH&B) Pilot Network for up to 100 homes and 20 businesses in Bahrain. The Trial Network will first be demonstrated at PurOptix facilities in Carlsbad, CA, with installation in Bahrain expected to take place during the second quarter of 2002. Successful demonstration of the Trial Network is expected to lead to additional contracts for high volume deployment of the FTTH&B network throughout Bahrain starting in the third and fourth quarter of 2002.
The project under development will use the PurOptix Advanced Optical Network (AON) System for delivery of integrated services including telephone, television, video services, low-speed serial communications and ultra-high-speed data and Internet access. The AON System designed for Batelco will be modeled for deployment on their existing fiber optic and ATM infrastructure, delivering an ideal solution for Batelco to provide a complete suite of services to its customers.
Stan Gafner, CEO of PurOptix stated: "We are excited to have been selected by Batelco for this project and we are looking forward to demonstrating our state-of-the-art network platform. Both the provider and the customer will enjoy the benefits of an ultra-high-speed, fully featured, and future-proof all-fiber network."
John Steel, Chief Operating Officer, Support Services for Batelco, said: "We are committed to providing a superior level of service to all our customers as we move forward with our plans to develop and install all-fiber optic communications networks. The PurOptix AON System meets the requirement to deliver services over a reliable, high-speed fiber-optic network that will provide incredible amounts of bandwidth for many decades."
PurOptix was formed in 1999 to develop, produce sell and implement advanced optical leader in the design and delivery of cost effective optical networking systems and products as well as related network design and implementation services. PurOptix has developed a unique and proprietary network system, the AON System, that allows utilities, telephone and cable companies to offer a variety of services and content on an all fiber-optic based network. PurOptix is headquartered in Carlsbad, CA.
Batelco (Bahrain Telecommunications Company) was established in 1981 as a Bahraini shareholding company. Over the years, Batelco has enjoyed a fine reputation for providing world-class telecommunications and information services to the people of Bahrain and the region. Batelco's shareholders include the Government of Bahrain, quasi-government institutions, leading financial and commercial organisations, and Bahraini and GCC citizens. Between them, they own 80 per cent of the shares with Cable and Wireless (U.K.) owning the remaining 20 per cent. Batelco is headquartered in Manama, Bahrain.
For further information, visit www.puroptix.com