There is a lot happening in remote sensing from the skies and close to home. Here are some recent stories in the news that capture the range of interests in this dynamic field that relies on optics, lasers, and detectors:
1. Lots more satellites are smaller and closer to you.
Microsatellites: What big eyes they have (NY Times)
2. And many satellites are working for the common good.
SkyTruth, the environment and the satellite revolution (Washington Post)
3. Some satellites are revealing disturbing trends.
Laser system tracks iceberg evolution and ocean temperature (MIT Technology Review)
4. On and under the ground, remote sensing taps natural resources.
Sound-sensing fiber optics improve fracking (Laser Focus World)
5. Robots need to "see" and understand their environment to work efficiently and safely, and that requires sensing and information processing systems.
Robots need vision (Laser Focus World)